When you talk about the low residue diet, many of your favorite food items are included in this diet plan. You can enjoy a variety of meals without fiber but the main thing that needs to be understood by everyone is that you need a doctor to check if you need to eat such kind of diet or not and if he found out some symptoms or problems in your intestinal tract, he will be putting you into a low residue diet for some time. Let me tell you that nobody needs a diet which has no fiber in it. It is an essential nutrient that our body needs and fiber have many useful qualities that help our body in remaining disease-free.
Food sources high in fiber can be harmful for our body only in some cases like you are dealing with problems of Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Gastroparesis, Diverticulitis or you went for some stomach surgery some time back. The fiber in this time can be harmful to you but it is not at all completely vanished from your diet, some amount of fiber is still there in your diet. A nutritionist or dietician will prepare a personalized diet plan for you and he will change your diet plan with your recovery.
If you are advised by your doctor to go on a low residue diet and you want to see what are the food sources available for you, try visiting the website Lowresiduediet.net and view the table of the food sources available for you. Some food items are mentioned below for your reference.
Food to Eat On A Low Residue Diet
- White rice
- White bread with not extra nuts or seeds on it.
- Refined or processed food items like kinds of pasta, refined cereals, noodles.
- Vegetables like carrots potatoes but without skin or seeds.
- Fresh fruits but without skin or seeds including bananas, apricots, papaya, peach, plums, and watermelon. Keep In Moderation.
- Without seeds or skin canned fruits like pears or applesauce.
- Lean meat, poultry, lamb, chicken, fish, etc.
- Dairy products include eggs, milk and yogurt (lactose-free if not tolerant)
- Fats such as vegetable oils, mayonnaise, margarine, and creamy peanut butter
- Decaffeinated beverages like Coffee. Tea or herbal tea.
- Clear juices without pulp, skin, like apple, cranberry, and some vegetable juices.
Foods to Avoid On A Low Residue Diet
- Fruit juices with pulp and seeds
- Fruits and vegetables high in fiber like apples, broccoli. Fruits and vegetables with skins and seeds.
- Whole grain cereals like whole grain pasta, whole grain flour.
- Fats like olive oil. Coconut oil, flaxseed oil, etc.
- Legumes and lentils
- Cheese, cottage cheese
- Brown bread and brown rice.
- Popcorn, corn, etc.
Here are some basic things and food items that need to be there in your low residue diet and some food items to avoid while on a low residue diet. Basically all those food items high in fiber content are restricted in low fiber or low residue diet and majorly the insoluble fibers must not be there.